A JRPG that has stayed fairly quiet since we discovered it in January, Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception is now set for release on May 23rd this year, while its sequel, Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth still remains unannounced. After we reported on the gorgeous teaser trailer released in January, I have been getting more and more excited for these titles. Good strategy RPGs are few and far between and the genre is quite underrated in my opinion. Take a look at the two introductory videos below:
While not much is known about her past, Kuon is an intelligent and free-spirited woman who is an apothecary by trade. She is a responsible person who always gets the job done. With a preference for hand to hand combat she is a fierce fighter, while her knowledge of herbology and medicines lets her act as an effective healer.
Haku is a mysterious amnesiac who has no idea how he woke up into a world populated with monstrous creatures and people with beastlike features. All he knows is that he’s been named Haku by a beautiful girl named Kuon, and that he’s stuck in this place for the long haul. While not the strongest fighter, he is a brilliant strategist who uses his mind to counter the enemies’ brawn.
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception is set to feature:
• An Unforgettable Story – Mask of Deception offers a story-rich visual novel experience (40-50+ hours long) that lets players shape the future of a fully realised world filled with fantastical lore and history!
• An Active SRPG Battle System – Players will need to defend Haku and his friends by engaging in intense SRPG combat with the various hostiles that populate the world. The battle system is a thrilling mix of turn-based tactics and Attack Chain mechanics. Players can remain active during combat by successfully completing timing-based charging rings to execute critical attacks or vital dodges/blocks.
• Fully Fleshed Out Combat – Unique combat features such as the rewind function, elemental affinities/weaknesses, unique character skills, and more add a layer of depth to fights. It’ll take true tactical acumen to emerge victorious in battle!
• Breathtaking Art – With a stunning art style and beautifully rendered cutscenes, the game is a feast for the eyes for Japanese visual novel and anime aficionados!
• Beautiful Songs and a Thrilling Score – The rousing music, recorded and remastered at the legendary Abbey Road Studios and EastWest Studios, is a perfect soundtrack to accompany a great adventure.
Originally known as Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen in Japan, Mask of Deception is set to be a grand tale that aims to enchant the hearts and minds of players in search of incredible journey. As Kuon and Haku’s journey takes them across the land, the two will encounter colourful characters, build deep relationships, battle ruthless enemies, and find themselves dragged into the political machinations of the mighty nation of Yamato.