Nintendo promised they would continue to support Splatoon 2 following its release back in July. Delivering on that promise, Nintendo have detailed the contents of two major FREE updates coming to Switch owners. The update, which comes just in time for the holiday season, includes new stages, gear, music, and more! Check out the “Huge Holiday Updates” video below!
Below is a comprehensive list of all the updates coming across November and December. Among the standout features are four new battle stages, over 140 new pieces of gear, and a completely new game mode: Clam Blitz!
Splatoon 2 24th November Update
- Four New Battle Stages: MakoMart (available 25th November), and Shellendorf Institute, Walleye Warehouse and Arowana Mall coming soon.
- New Salmon Run Stage: After downloading the update, Salmonid Smokeyard will be added to the stage rotation. In Salmonid Smokeyard, a wide gap on the beach divides two upper platforms, with fan lifts being the quickest way to traverse the two platforms.
- New Gear: Approximately 140 pieces of gear including shoes, headgear and clothes, motocross masks, winter clothing, as well as items from the original Splatoon.
- New Battle Music: Two new bands have been gaining popularity in Inkopolis! The punk-flavoured “Bottom Feeders” and classically-trained avant-garde-style “Ink Theory”!
- New Hairstyle: Four new hairstyles will be available to choose from – two each for female and male characters.
- Higher Level Caps:After downloading the update, the new maximum level will be raised to 99 (raised from the current cap of 50). If players talk to Judd when they reach Level 99, they’ll have the option to reset their level display to Level ★1 so they can continue raising their level.
- New amiibo Functionality: Tapping a compatible amiibo figure after the update will let players take and share photos in preset locations in Battle Stages, in addition to being able to take photos in Inkopolis Square.
- Convenient Gear Swapping: Players can now change gear without having to exit the lobby in Regular Battle, Ranked Battle and Splatfest Battle (Solo).
Splatoon 2 Mid-December Update
- Clam Blitz: In Clam Blitz, competing Inklings are tasked with collecting clams scattered around the stage. After one is picked up, the clam follows the player. The objective is to throw the clam into the basket near the opponent’s base, and the first team to score 100 points wins! But, of course, this being the fiercely competitive world of Splatoon 2, things are not as easy as they seem. The baskets are protected by a barrier, which must be destroyed first. After collecting 10 clams, the player will earn a Power Clam. These super-powered clams are the key to breaking the barrier, so strategic Inklings need to decide which clams are used to destroy the barrier and which are used to earn points. Not to mention the extra-satisfying opportunity to steal opponents’ clams by splatting them.
The first Splatoon 2 update goes live this week on the 24th of November, with the second following sometime in mid-December. Are you ready?