A mere six years since Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed was released, the latest Sonic Racing game is very almost upon us. Team Sonic Racing is slated for a late 2018 release date and appears to be coming along rather nicely.
As per the name, the key quirk of this upcoming racer is around team racing and Sega have taken to the internet to shed some additional light on the mechanics involved and various ways teams can work together to win the checkered flag.
The teams appear to be structures as follows, Team Rose: Amy Rose, Big the Cat, and one of four variations of a Chao creature. Team Sonic (Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles), Team Shadow (Shadow, E-123 Omega, and Rouge) and Dr. Eggman. Interestingly I couldn’t spot Ray or Mighty from Sonic Mania Plus, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they ended up in the game or as DLC later on.
The addition of team based manoeuvres could make online races in particular quite interesting particularly slingshot boosting and the item box transfer. I would imagine a team that is practised would be a formidable opponent. Here is the full list of available specials.
- Skimboost: Boost struggling teammates back into action as you drive by!
- Slingshot: Slipstream a teammate for a slingshot boost!
- Rival Takedown: Knock out highlighted opponents ahead and speed past them!
- Item Box Transfer: Send and receive Wisps with teammates anywhere on the track!
- Team Ultimate: Use Team Mechanics to fill your Team Ultimate meter and unleash a massive team boost!
The Sonic and Sega All Stars racing games were actually the first decent Sonic themed racing games, featuring a mix of characters from Sega games and themed tracks. So it was a little strange when things just went silent after the sequel. I would expect Team Sonic Racing to play in a similar fashion and hopefully be of the same high quality as the All Stars set of games.
Keep an eye out for a release date announcement soon!