Aussies are turning to online gaming more than ever due to lockdowns and the ongoing pandemic, according to new research from PlayStation Australia.
The new research reveals how online gaming helps us to stay connected with friends, family, loved ones that they aren’t able to see in person. In particular, 4.5 million Aussie gamers have used online gaming to stay connected. A recent report from Telsyte reveals that video game subscriptions have increased by 13% over the last year. This is certainly not surprising, from our perspective; I know that my online gaming has been a nightly staple so that I can get some much needed social interaction with my mates that I haven’t seen for months due to stay-at-home orders.
Check out some of the key findings below:
- – Over half (52%) of Australian gamers have used online gaming to stay connected to people they haven’t been able to see over the last 18-months
- – One in two (51%) Australians agree that online gaming has a positive effect on their social life.
- – One in four (25%) gamers are using online gaming as their preferred form of communication to stay connected with friends and family over any other communications platforms.
- – 17% choosing to connect through gaming more than online video call.
- – 14% using it more than phone calls.
- – 14% choosing gaming over social media platforms.
- – 12% opting to stay connected through gaming over texting.
- – Nearly 1 in 10 Australians (8%) surveyed have formed a romantic partnership or bonded with their partner through online gaming
“Over the last two years, we have seen Australians connect and reconnect with gaming like never before as people experience the true value of what modern gaming can offer. Online gaming through PlayStation Plus has enabled families to come together, allowed mature audiences to learn new tricks, and most importantly, it has been a consistent and captivating way to escape the world and keep people feeling connected to their families and friends.” said Pat Lagana, Director of Marketing at Sony Interactive Australia.
If you’re keen to get amongst it and play online with your friends particularly if you’re still in lockdown in NSW + VIC, PlayStation Australia is offering a free weekend of PlayStation Plus for all Australians this weekend, from 2-4 October 2021.