Rockstar Games’ mega-successful crime sandbox MMO, GTA Online, is getting a paid subscription service called GTA+. This service is exclusive to players of the the recently-released PS5 and Xbox Series X/S ports of the game. The subscription will provide exclusive rewards, in-game cash and special discounts.
The full list of GTA+ benefits for its first month, from March 29th until April 27th, includes:
- GTA$500,000 delivered automatically to your Maze Bank Account
- The Principe Deveste Eight — along with a complimentary Hao’s Special Works upgrade for it before it is made available to purchase by the general public — plus the HSW Orange Trip and HSW CMYK Glitch Liveries
- The Auto Shop located in La Mesa, introduces an assortment of gameplay updates from Los Santos Tuners. Current Auto Shop owners can relocate to La Mesa at no additional cost
- Waived LS Car Meet Membership fees. Current LS Car Meet members with GTA Plus will be reimbursed GTA$50,000 during this event period
- Yacht owners can upgrade to the Aquarius Super Yacht at no additional cost
- The Gussét Frog Tee and Broker Prolaps Basketball Top and Shorts automatically added to your wardrobe
- The Conveyor Livery for the Mammoth Avenger, HVY APC, and TM-02 Khanjali
- A selection of free paints and emblems for the Auto Shop
- 3X GTA$ and RP on Hao’s Special Works Race Series
- 2X Car Meet Rep on the Street Race Series
The monthly cost of the subscription comes to $5.99 USD, on top of whatever you are paying for PS+ or Xbox Live subscriptions to access online features in the first place. The subscription for GTA Online, with its mix of general benefits and exclusive rewards, makes it not unlike the Fortnite Crew premium subscription service announced for Fortnite in 2020. Whether those benefits make it worth the monthly investment is up to the individual players’ discretion. Hopefully it will not drive a rift between the regular players and GTA+ subscribers like the Fallout 1st subcription did in Fallout 76.
In a message to Kotaku, Rockstar confirmed that benefits acquired via subscription are retained even after the player stops paying for the service. Oddly, there is no news so far of GTA+ being made available for GTA Online players on PC. Perhaps Rockstar Games is trialling the service on console before rolling it out on PC at a later date.
The GTA+ subscription service for GTA Online will be released on PS5 and Xbox Series X/S on March 29th 2022.